I GETS DOWN IN THE KITCHEN! No, seriously – I do. I come from a family of cooks and was always in the kitchen with Mom helping her whip up family dinners, Thanksgiving dinners, etc. Okay, honestly, she delegated tasks to my sisters and me since she was preparing lots of food for such a big family. (I LOVE my Bailey Crew!) Helping hands were a must when it came to feeding our big family. Cooking comes natural to me and it is something that I thoroughly enjoy and love. Check out my recipe for quick, easy and scrumptious stuffed peppers that are extremely tasty, as well as healthy and easy on the waistline. Ladies, we have to keep that figure in check! 🙂
- 1 lb. of cooked ground turkey
- ½ cup of cooked whole grain rice
- 1 ½ cup of frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 jar (15.5 oz.) of salsa (I use Wegman’s organic salsa…LOVE this stuff!)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsps. of fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tbsps. of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1-2 tbsps. of minced garlic (I LOVE garlic so I add 2 tbsps. 🙂)
- Black pepper
- Emeril’s Essence seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
- 4 peppers (I prefer the red, yellow and orange peppers because they have a milder taste.)
- 1 ½ cup of low-fat shredded sharp cheddar (or cheese of your choice)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse all fresh veggies and herbs that are being used. Drain and rinse the black beans and put to the side. Chop the upper/top stem area of the peppers off so that there is an opening and clean out the contents of the peppers.
Cook ground turkey until it is brown and no longer pink. Add chopped onions, parsley, cilantro, black pepper, Emeril’s essence and mixed garlic to cooked ground turkey and mix in very well. Cook mixture for 2-3 additional minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cooked rice, salsa, corn, black beans and ½ – ¾ cups of cheese and mix well. Spoon the mixture into peppers until they are full. Place the stuffed peppers into a baking dish and sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese on top of the peppers.
Bake the peppers for 20-30 minutes or until the peppers are cooked all the way thru and the cheese is melted. Let cool and serve.
This recipe is a great healthy and quick meal option. I hope you enjoy!