So, as you know, there’s always a story behind the food. While visiting New York City, my Love insisted that we check out a Cuban restaurant, Cubana, where he’d previously eaten. He raved about their amazing salads, and I must admit, the salads listed on their menu looked pretty impressive. I couldn’t try them all, so I made a mental note to recreate a few and put my own twist on them. 🙂 My favorite is the grilled chicken, fruit & Avocado Salad with homemade honey garlic vinaigrette.
- 2 seasoned grilled chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 10-12 fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado, seeded and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 2 pineapple spears, sliced into chunks
- 1 small red sweet onion, diced
- 3-4 handfuls of spinach (or whatever leafy green you like)
- Candied walnuts (optional)
Honey Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Whisk olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and garlic together in bowl and set aside. Combine all salad ingredients. Top salad with desired amount of vinaigrette.
This salad is soooo good with or without the chicken. It’s light, healthy and fulfilling. The Mr. loved it! 🙂
*The salad pictured below does not include mango or candied walnuts. I normally include both, but I didn’t have them on hand at the time. This was still very yummy!